Does Fibromyalgia Need B12? (9.9.2022) Save
Can we predict the bad outcomes? Like when ITP evolves into SLE; or when psoriasis will develop arthritis; or if Sjogren's will develop lymphoma? Let's dive in and review these journal reports and this past week's news from RheumNow.com.
- Study of 130 patients with ITP (w/ 10 later Dx SLE (30 mos F/U). Risk factors for ITP developing SLE included young age (< 40yrs; OR 6.3), organ bleeding (OR 13.7), and ANA (≥ 1:160; OR 6.6) https://t.co/XSJdio2rR1
- Spanish SpA Registry (REGISPONSER) - 18.3% had psoriasis; w/ 3/4 of these (76%) having PSO before MSK Sxs. Pts w/ PSO before MSK Sxs had shorter dz duration, lower BMI, Less B27 & anterior uveitis, more dactylitis and ^risk PsA dx (78% vs 56%) https://t.co/b9Qa6fL9eM
- Multicentre matched control study looked at primary Sjogrens that developed lymphoma or NOT. Parotid swelling (PSW) is an early major predictor of non-Hodgkin lymphoma in pSS; esp if present before or dx, & w/ a longer duration of PSW https://t.co/QokXF6klEv
- Study of 100 Korean systemic sclerosis pts, shows that while many had SSc finger involvement, fingerprints is SSc pts did not change significantly, but may be inadequate/ difficult with finger deformity, acroosteolysis or digital ulcers https://t.co/JjTIiaLYZv
- ACR RISE Registry, 9,560 gout pts- ONLY 56% of patients had > = one Serum Urate recorded during the year; amongst those w/ 1 SU recorded, 74% achieved the SU target. ONLY HALF? GETTING SUAs? Are we not Rheums? https://t.co/OfKRWtyjBT
- Systematic review of Telemedicine in Rheumatology - 36 reports: 27 observational studies, 7 RCTs , 2 controlled trials - most on general rheum. Most show TM as good as usual / in-person care (Dzactivity, pt satisfaction, costs, & feasibility). TM Works https://t.co/04QW8UiB8j
- JAKi inhibit Vaccine responses some - study of 113 RA fully vaccinated pts assess 6wks post 2nd jab - 51 on JAKi and 62 not on JAKi. Pts not on JAK 77.4% had humoral response; 29% less (54.9%) in thos on JAK inhibitors; even more if on MTX + JAKi https://t.co/NtN4XEa2nE
- Hypertension Associated with RA and OA Analysis of NHANES data suggests that both rheumatoid arthritis (RA) and osteoarthritis (OA) are strongly associated with hypertension (HTN). https://t.co/HUWUvOKcMw
- Genetic Testing for Autoinflammatory Disease
- Nintedinib has been studied in 39 children (6–17 yrs) with fibrosing ILD demonstrating pharmacokinetics (wt based dosing) and safety. Adjusted mean changes in FVC % at week 24 were 0.3 with nintedanib and −0.9 with placebo https://t.co/yQ7OREzpTR
- B12 or Placebo effect? Open label study of B12 (1000mcg/d) in 29 fibromyalgia pts showed after 50d, significant reductions in FM Impact Quest. (FIQR; 49.8 to 40.00; p< 0.01), Function, Sxs, anxiety scores all signif improved. https://t.co/MtJWy5xlz9
- Does Dendritic Cell Targeted Therapy Work in SLE?
- Ask Cush Anything (ACA) - Have a Rheumatology question or case for Jack Cush? Record it here and we may feature it on an upcoming podcast. Tell us your name and where you practice rheumatology.